Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Meet Irma Cecilia



This beautiful little princess is Irma Cecilia. She is the little girl I have sponsored to go to school in San Jorge. She is 10 years old and going into the fourth grade. Irma lives with her mother, father, and younger brother and sisiter. They own the house that they live in which, is made of mud brick, it has tin sheeting for the roof and a cement floor. It has two rooms and a small outside kitchen. They cook over an open fire over rocks. They have two beds, one in each room. They have a pila which, is a sink of sorts that they fill with water to use for washing dishes and/or clothes. They have one small closet, the rest of their clothes they keep in cardboard boxes.
They have water connected and pay $ 4.00 US. per year. They have electricity connected and pay $8.00 per month.
Paulina keeps two chickens . She likes to have them for eggs, or to be able to eat. She would like to have more but does not have the money to be able to do so.

I am honored to be able to help this amazing family in honor of my daughter, Kenza Mary. We have sent money so that Irma and her family will receive a Tamale basket for their Christmas celebration, I am very excited about this! I only wish I could be there to see them enjoy it!! I plan to help Paulina purchse more chickens and it is also my hope to purchse an Onil stove for the family. Cooking over an open fire is dangerous in so many ways and for $125, they can have the safety of an Onil stove.

I am so excited to have the opporitunity to meet Irma and her family on our trip. They have found a way into my heart and I am honored to be able to share in their lives, even if it's only in some small way. God has blessed me with an amazing family, one built in part, thru the miracle of adoption from Guatemala. We have a nice life and though we are not rich, we don't want for anything essential in life. It is my hope that I can continue to give to Irma and her family and that what we do will help to make a difference in their lives.

I want to thank the wonderful GAFI family for all they have done to support our efforts in fundraising for Mayan Families. I'd also like to thank my friends, neighbors, and family for all they have done to help me get ready for this trip. From donations of school supplies, clothes, shoes, medicine, and suitcases, to purchasing cookbooks; all you have done is so very much appreciated. I'd like to thank my mom, Marie, who will be coming on this trip with us, for all she has done to help me bring Irma and her family some "goodies" on our visit. For a woman who said she'd never leave US soil, this will be her THIRD trip to Guatemala...funny...I think she might love it just as much as me!! Anyway, as you can tell, I am very much looking forward to our trip to Panajachel and will post as we go thru this amazing journey to "The land of the eternal spring"!!

No comments: