Sunday, November 4, 2007

FAITH, LOVE & HOPE

I am bursting with excitement and anticipation to go to GT next week! I have been overwhelmed with the very generous abundance of donations... far more than I ever expected.. a strong reminder of the GOOD in people. I have been especially blessed with the JOY of sharing my passion for the children of GT with my current school family at St. Joseph Regional in New Jersey. The children of this school have embraced the cause in GT and have raised an enormous amount of money for the school in San Jorge. The money will go towards a stove for the school that will provide heat and meals for the students for many years to come. I am honored to represent St. Joe's and proudly will deliver a photo of the St. Joe's students to hopefully hang in the San Jorge School. I will return with a photo of the Students in GT to hang in the halls of our school as well. A brotherhood has been established and I am honored to witness the compassion, concern and love that knows no borders.

In addition to our other efforts on this mission; I am looking forward with great anticipation to meeting my sponsored child, Juan Armando. Here is a photo of Juan ~ EL GUAPO!!



Juan Armando is 5 years old and lives with his parents and three siblings. No one in his family has attended school nor can read or write. Juan is the youngest of the family and will be the very first to attend school. The family lives in a one room shack with dirt floors...They have one bed for all of them... several are forced to sleep on the floor on straw mats. They keep their few items of clothing in a cardboard box. They are fortunate to have an onil stove, and Juan's mother often goes to the mountains to find herbs used to make soup for the children.

I am eager to meet Juan and his Mother... I have great respect for this woman who survives everyday and continues to feed and clothe her family... and am very happy to be able to help send Juan to school. While I know the families in GT will be grateful for the donations we are bringing ~ I pray they somehow are aware of the amazing gifts they are giving us in return... a perspective on life that is priceless.

In addition to our efforts with MAYAN FAMILIES, Kelly and I and several other GAFI members are involved in fundraising for a very special orphanage called LOVE THE CHILD. This very special place is currently home to 42 children...many with mental and physical handicaps. I am thrilled to meet the amazing couple that have dedicated their lives to this home...and am happy to present funds raised for them raised by St. Joe's school. I look forward to holding the children, seeing their smiles and getting to know them by name. More efforts to help the orphanage will be established after meeting with the Osborne family and these beautiful children.

With FAITH, LOVE & HOPE we go forward!

Catherine

No comments: