Sunday, November 11, 2007

Saturday In Panajachel & San Jorge

What an emotional day for all of us! Our day began this morning waking up in the Marriott Hotel and having the delicious breakfast in La Vista restaurant. We managed to get all of our enormous bags and assorted luggage into the 15 passenger van and were on our way for the three hour ride to Panajachel. The beauty of Guatemala is breathtaking and the three hourws passed much more quickly than we thought and before long, we were traveling along winding narrow roads high up in the mountains of Guatemala. Lake Atitlan is breathtakingly beautiful... surrounded by volcanoes. We wound around more steep cliffs (did I mention steep?) and drove into Panajachel.

We arrived at Sharon´s house and met with two sonsored families and distributed the gifts we brought. We were then treated to a typical Mayan meal of rice with vegetables, black beans, guacamole, tortillas and salsa. Muy delicioso!!

We then made the drive to San Jorge and along the way stopped at a local market for some of us to make a few purchases. The day had escaped us a bit so we were late arriving and did not have time to go to see each sponsored famil´s home. Sharon had all the families meet us at the Community Center. Emotions ran very high as the beautiful children we have seen only in pictures arrived and we recognized their precious faces. Catherine was the first to meet her little Juan Armando and he has the greatest smile in the world. She scooped him up and gave him hugs and kisses and he was so delighted. As Catherine gave him his clothing and items... his family stood by with tears in their eyes... Juan especially loved his new spiderman backpack full of school supplies for the next school year! I can´t wait to share some pictures with you but we are on a public computer and will have to upload later.

Next, my sponsored child, Dayli and her little sister, Fristy arrived. Amazingly beautiful girls with the sweetest smiles and gentle personaliteies. They received their gifts of backpacks, dolls and little sweaters and said ¨gracias¨each and every time. Their mother, who is due with a baby in December, received her box of food and wrapped it in her Mayan cloth to carry back home. They gave me hugs and kisses and as I walked them outside, they invited me to follow them to their home just around the corner. I was so incredibly honored by the invitation and they brought me inside to introduce me to their father and brothers. They live in a meticulously clean 14 x 14 room that contained a full size bed, a wardrobe for a closet, a couple of chairs and a small table. It was obvious how proud they were of their home. It is amazing that a family with 6 children, 2 adults and a baby on the way made it a home. It was extremely warm and iviting. Each girl presented me with a beautiful beaded handmade necklace that their mother put around my neck after each girl presented it to me. How blessed anm I?

It was so wonderful to watch each of my new friends meet their families and stand back and see the smiles across the room from little toddlers to aged women.

Kelly had been searching the faces of the children for her sweet little girl Lesby... she found her and immediately swelled with tears at the sight of this angel. Lesby is truly angelic... she has the face of a cherub with sweet eyes and a gentle smile... Kelly took her hand and was instantly in love. As Kelly presented with her special gifts, Lesby appeared overwhelmed and kept looking around in disbelief. Sharon then comforted Lesby and told her that Kelly was ... her Godmother. We each witnessed the amazing realizations of mere dreams... these little faces were, till today mere children on the website... and now, they were standing in front of us with smiles and hugs as if we were family.

Mary was not able to be on the trip with us, but sent many gifts and special items for her sponsored child, Maydeni. Oh Mary, this little girl was just precious! We took many photos of her and her beautiful family. Maydeni´s mother stood out amongst the woman, she was absolutely stunning! Her baby sister was just as beautiful as Mom and Maydeni... they were gracious and thankful - so very, very thankful. They loved everything and you would have been proud to call them your family.

The children gathered in the courtyard and stood in line as we handed out beautiful rosary beads to them... the church bells rang and the moment seemed surreal. To think we were in this remote village, in the mountains of Guatemala, on the banks of an enormous lake, shadowed by a volcano that reaches thru the clouds, surrounded by the poorest people with the most gracious smiles... pinch me, I am dreanming.

Calling it a night here in Pana...computer connection is shutting down for the night but stay tuned... more tomorrow from Pam, Rena and Julie and their amazing experiences... We can´t begin to tell you all how amazing this day has been... you are with us in spirit!

Buenas Noches,
love
Sarah and Catherine

12 comments:

Our Family of 5 said...

WOW! I can't wait to see Pics!!
Hugs,
Lisa

JuJu - said...

I am siting here just crying my head off. This is so beautiful. I can only imagine how you must be feeling. The descripiton of the familes house - and our kids complain that they need MORE stuff;)Tahnks so much for posting all of your trip Sarah! I needed to read this today:)

Love to you all and be safe!

Julia:)

Faithful Froggers said...

Sarah,
What a wonderful post! Thanks so much for sharing your trip with all of us. The girls are all so beautiful and I know they have touched your lives forever! Know that we are thinking about you and praying for a safe trip!
Love & FROG,
Heather

Bus and Sabra said...

Such a beautiful description of an even more beautiful day! I felt as if I was there! I am so touched by the hope that you guys have brought these wonderful children and their families!! Thank you for sharing your wonderful experiences with us all! We will be watching and waiting for pictures and more posts!!
(((HUGS)))
Sabra :O)

Carol, Tom and Emma said...

What a wonderful experience you are having. The thought of you meeting with your sponsered childern and their families brought tears to my eyes. It's so amazing how happy people can be with love. I am sure you will never give another gift to someone without thinking of the faces of those children when they were presented with their gifts.
Since I have been house hunting and I read about the home Sarah wen too, this post really put into perspective on what is truly important. It's not the size of the house, but the love inside of it.
Can't wait to hear more from you wonderful ladies.
Hugs
Carol

Anonymous said...

Sarah and Catherine-
I feel like I'm right there with you guys with the way you describe everything. I know you all are having a wonderful time sharing with these kids and their families.

Veronica

DTB said...

thanks so much for the update. It's bringing back so many memories of our time there. I can't wait to see the pictues!

Sabrina

Marlene said...

What a wonderful time you all are having. I also look forward to hearing more and seeing photos when you come home. I wish I were there too.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for painting such a beautiful picture for us to read. I had chills reading about the meeting of the sponsored families, it was really inspiring. I am wishing so bad that I could have come along too... maybe next time. I can't wait to read more! Take care you guys!

Amy S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy S. said...

All I can say is Wow!... and how awesome. I can't wait to
see pictures and hear all about it. I sure hope you won't
be to tired!

Thinking of you sooooooooo much while you are gone....
Love and Hugs..

Anonymous said...

WOW.....this is just what I needed to see tonight! I'm so moved by your writings about all that is happening there. Keeps everything in perspective for us all. We have SO MUCH and these people have so little, and yet they are still willing to GIVE as you have mentioned and honor you with meals and respect and graciousness. That is just so beautiful!
I SO WISH I could be there too!
With all of you in heart and spirit...stay safe and Godspeed!!

XOXOXOX

Jen
and Addison, too!