Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A weekend to remember




Where to begin? Our trip to Guatemala was just AMAZING!! I don't know if I can explain all the emotions I went thru from arriving in Guatemala City for the first time since Kenza came home, to traveling thru the mountains of Guatemala seeing such natural beauty in the country, and then arriving in Panajachel and San Jorge to see so many wonderful people living in such horrific conditions....words just won't do it justice. My heart is forever changed after this trip. I know now more than ever that we, in the US, are so very blessed to have what we have. Not a day has gone by in my life when I had to go without something I "need", only things I "want" and yet, there have been days that having what I need, wasn't enough. The people of San Jorge smile, they laugh, they love....and they have so much "NEED". I think I learned more about life in two days in San Jorge than I have in 35 years living in the US. I am honored to have been able to make this trip to meet some incredible people and to have shared it with Rena, Kelly, Pam, Sarah, Catherine and my mom. I will write more later when I can process all I'd like to say. Until then, here's a small dose of my time in San Jorge.

2 comments:

Marlene said...

Julie, What a wonderful experience you must have had. I am so happy you all had a great time. I love the pictures. They almost look like post cards.

Anonymous said...

Love your post, Julie! We are so lucky, huh? Blessed by our children and I know I certainly take for granted what life in the U.S. affords us. I see my daughter's face in the faces of so many of these children and it touches my heart so very deeply. Thanks for sharing your experience. Can't wait to read more!