Tuesday, November 13, 2007

We are back in Guatemala City after our visit to Pana, and this morning we plan to go to the artisan's market before catching our flight home.

Guatemala is such a beautiful country. We were able to see so much on our trip to Pana, driving down the windy roads and up and down the mountains. It was fun to see cows on the side of the road eating grass or the women walking down the street with large bags carefully balanced on their heads with a child strapped to their backs. It was an amazing experience to be able to walk through the city of San Jorge which is located on the side of a mountain overlooking the beautiful blue lake. The views were just priceless.

Returning back to Guatemala City last night, we had a real Guatemalan experience. We were on a narrow two lane road winding through the mountains, when we abrubtly had to turn around. Our driver was told something in Spanish that we were unable to understand by two passing cars, and all the sudden, we started going backward down the mountain at full speed. When he got to a good point, he turned around this big vehicle on a narrow road with such skill and expertise and drove quckly away. We learned that there were armed banditos on the road ahead, and our driver concerned for our safety and feeling responsible for us, quickly got us out of danger. We did have to take the long way home, but it certainly made for an interesting trip.

We were all glad to return to the Marriott last night, and a hot shower and comfortable bed made for a terrific night. I am so sorry that this trip is coming to an end, but look forward to returning home to my family.

When I get home, I will download all my pictures and post stories about our visit.

9 comments:

Marc said...

Glad you guys are all OK. That must have been a harrowing experience. Can't wait to hear that you're all home safe and see the pictures and hear the stories.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rena,

Thank God that you are all ok. It sounds like your trip has been amazing. I can't wait to see the pictures.

Take care.

Lisa

DTB said...

I am so glad you are all okay! How scary! I can't wait to hear more about the trip and see all the pictures. Still a bit jealous that I'm not there with you all! :) hehe!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you guys are okay! Sounds like the trip was amazing. I'm totally jealous I wasn't able to go with you all. I look forward to seeing pictures and hearing about your trip. Thanks for representing GAFI for us! Anne

Bus and Sabra said...

We are all looking so forward to seeing the great pictures that you all have taken! We can't wait to hear from each of you, and all of your amazing experiences!! I am so thankfull to hear of the quick thinking driver, and the skill that he had backing down that mountain! How scary!!! Enjoy getting home to your family,and loving on them! I am sure they have missed you as much as you have missed them!!
Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us! It's like we have been with you the whole way!!
(((hugs)))
Sabra

Amy S. said...

Scary I must say..glad all is well.
Looking forward to the pictures.
Thankyou so much for sharing your trip with us!

Love and Hugs..

Anonymous said...

Wow! I would have been freaking out! Glad you guys are safe, thanks for keeping us all updated! Can't wait to see pics!

Robyn said...

How scary!! I am so glad you're safe!!

It sounds like you've had a wonderful trip!! I can't wait to see the pics!!

Robyn

Anonymous said...

Rena,
It sounded like the trip of a lifetime. You are doing beautiful work!!

K