Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A trip I will never forget





The market with Sharon, Zoe, Gloria and Julie.


Claudia and her mom and Bonnie's sponsored student Sindi.


This trip has definitely changed the way I will view things for the rest of my life. The trip held so many emotions - I will probably never be able to fully describe everything that we saw and did so that you can truly appreciate it. Meeting Sara, Rena, Catherine and Kelly was wonderful. Getting to spend the weekend with Julie and her mom was also so much fun!!! We headed thru the mountains to get to our destinations of Panajachel and San Jorge with the BEST driver in the world in my book!!! Besides being able to pack a van to the brim he also saved us from armed bandits by driving backwards down a 2 lane mountain with a cliff only inches from the road and at a high speed!!! When we arrived at Sharon's house (The director of Mayan Families) we were treated with so much kindness and warmth by not only Sharon but also from her 2 children and all of her employee's throughout the trip. They treated us to a traditional lunch at Sharon's and translated for all of us and also explained how everything worked, made sure we met all of our children and also brought us back a second time so that we could see all of their homes and made sure we all got to take them to get shoes. They made sure everything was perfect. This group of individuals are truly the most amazing people!! They give of themselves without reservation and they are truly making a difference in the lives of soooooooo many people. They are all truly special.


When we finally got to meet our sponsored children it was unbelievable. I think just about all of us shed a few tears. The little faces were all so appreciative and loving. My sponsored girl Claudia was very shy on the first day that I met her but by the second day she had warmed up quite a bit. When Claudia and her 4 year old brother, Dany came over and each took one of my hands to hold my heart simply melted!!! The kisses and hugs when we left them is something that I will never forget. Claudia's mother was also so appreciative of all that we were doing for them that she made sure to find someone who she knew could translate for her so that she could express her emotions.


The living conditions of most of these families are so sad. There are 5 and 6 people sharing a bed and living in one room. Some of the families have running water and a pila (a place to cook) but not all of them.


Mayan families is making the conditions better one step at a time. They have started sewing classes and are improving the school and also have a pet program as there are so many dogs as pets(they get them spayed for free and also help with food for the animals) they also help with doctors and dentists for all the people in these areas. They do all of this with donations and with the help of the people themselves. I am certainly proud to have met them and talked to them and hope to be able to help in some small way again very soon.


It was such an amazing trip - one I will never forget!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the photos and details. I SOOOO.. wish I could have been there. After reading the posts I will definitely be going next time! I have been to the Lake and it is the most beautiful site and the drive is amazing, even though I was carsick the entire way!
You guys are great,
thanks for sharing
Lisa

Marlene said...

Pam I love hearing from each of you. The more I hear the more I wish I had been there too.

Margaret mom to Peter, and waiting for his sister said...

so, did you get them chickens and feed? Or did you get them roosters too?

I am glad all of you enjoyed the trip.

margaret